Skip to main content

Kratie, the Mekong doorstep!

Then I headed to Kratie, another province stands by the Mekong River. It was a five-hour drive from Preah Vihear, and the journey was not really bad. I was accompanied with jokes and fun from my colleagues in the same car. And what really blocked my ears and isolated all my senses from the surrounding environment was my little pink mp3 player. It saved me from boredom and tiredness.

When I arrived in Kratie, it was just another new page of painting flipping just in front my eyes through the car's windows. From a very dried and warm Preah Vihear province, now I encountered a landscape filled with green leaves and wet ground. That was a very sweet welcoming scene that made me stuck to complain about the long drive.

The Mekong river contains its lowest water during this month, but this does not mean that everything around it should be quiet. The river bank was full of people jogging, selling varieties of fruit and food, eating, and chatting. (but I did not notice people smoking). Hotels were full of tourists, and this made taxi and tuk tuk drivers to force their machines rolling on days and nights.

I could not waste my time as I would stay in the province only 3 nights. I tried to get benefits and entertained from this fantastic atmosphere to release my stress from work during the day time. In the morning before the Sun rose, I jogged along the river bank with other colleagues. It was a perfect morning to get sweat out as river wind followed me as I moved. The sound of crickets in the grass lane forced me to take my earphones out. I could not describe it more than the peaceful mind I got after jogging.

My team, after a long day of meetings and field visits, found a secret place to enjoy. It was not a hidden spot that people there could not find, but it was just not an interesting and well-known place. It was the river sand, just at other side of the river. It was a five-minute drive by boat. We did exercise, drank beer, and had dinner. Our evening was not dark as the local villager brought his battery and light bulb to make the spot more or less like a saving-energy pub.

My happiness ended as the time to go back to the city arrived. But I had a wish before I returned. I wanted to bring at least some of the good things from here to my family. Instead of just sharing photos, I wanted to buy some food and fruit. I bought some Krorlan (sticky rice in bamboo) and grapefruits, which are among the best products Kratie could make and grow. I was right as my family did not complain about those stuff.

(Enjoy more photos here!) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New development from Cambodia

Politics: Cambodian Prime Minister said his new ministers will be more focused on their ministerial work by dropping their parliarmentary positions, reported the Phonom Penh Post on Friday. Ther are around 40 Cambodian People's Party officials, who are holding dual postions both at the government and parliarmentay, are being considered to resign, added the paper.

Cambodia needs Toyota or vice versa?

If the plan to build a Toyota factory in Cambodia succeeds, it will be a new step in the country's development. Both sides, Cambodia and Toyota, will benefit of course. The question is who will gain more? And how can Cambodia maximize its benefits from this investment? Toyota is looking for new markets after its sales decreased this year. Cambodia's rapid economic growth for the last few years and its low cost of labour are two attractions for the company. Those factors should make Cambodia a good market for Toyota. Some rich Cambodians are waiting for the chance to buy the latest Toyota cars to drive in the streets without paying import tax. But poor, rural Cambodians will not see any benefit from the new auto factory. They might have hoped that the factory will provide jobs to their children but their children's farming skills will be of no use to Toyota. Cambodia, of course, will receive foreign capital from a Toyota factory. The country will also have the opportunity...

A long suffer from landmine

Resulted from decades of war, Cambodia is left with poor infrastructures and almost zero of human resources. Even worst, the country is still struggling with landmines, one of the country's silent killers. It a slow and paintful process to clear one signle landmine. A deminer could spend the whole day to just identify and clear one. All of my friends, I would like to invite all of you to spend 3 minutes on a documentary about landmine clearance. It is an effort to rescue land for farmers. Enjoy it and I am waiting for your comments.